Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Teaser Tuesday #3 & Top Ten Tuesday #2



Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.
Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

The Rules:
•Grab your current read
•Open to a random page
•Share two (2) or so “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
•BE CAREFUL NOT TO 
INCLUDE SPOILERS!!
•Share the title &  author, too

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)


"One time, when I was in a blind tree, waiting motionless for the game to wander by, I dozed off and fell ten feet to the ground, landing on my back. It was as if the impact had knocked every wisp of air from my lungs, and I lay there struggling to inhale, to exhale, to do anything.

That's how I feel now, trying to remember how to breathe, unable to speak, totally stunned as the name bounces around inside my skull."

Page 21 - Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I chose a quote from the beginning of the book because I have not made it very far, and I don't want to spoil the book for myself. Wish me luck!!


*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*
Hey there! Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and Bookish

Top Ten Books That Were Totally Deceiving

Unlikely Angel: The Untold Story of the Atlanta Hostage HeroA Hopeless RomanticWings (Wings, #1)My Blood Approves (My Blood Approves, #1)
Anatomy of a BoyfriendTwo-Way Street
Labyrinth (Languedoc Trilogy, #1)Looking for AlaskaBrother Odd (Odd Thomas, #3)White Oleander

1. Unlikely Angel - Ashley Smith

This book is on this list because it was just plain awful. I couldn't get past the first few chapters. From the description I thought it would be a fast-paced account of her experience of being a hostage. However, it turned out to be a rant about her finding god, and talking about her drug habit/losing custody of her daughter. 

2. A Hopeless Romantic - Harriet Evans

The cover for this book is great, it's even got glitter!! I couldn't even finish this book it was so bad. I hated the main character, and the summary wasn't adding up to what I was reading. It was boring and completely not what I wanted it to be. 

3. Wings - Aprilynne Pike

The cover is what through me off about this book. I thought that it would take place near the water and that she actually would get like butterfly wings. Not what I imagined, but it was definitely better than I expected though. 

4. My Blood Approves - Amanda Hocking 

I had this book for over a year before I actually read it. The cover is just so "blah" that I didn't feel drawn to it. I was SO wrong. I was so good. Not to mention, not part of this book takes place at any sort of scene that resembles this. 

5. Anatomy of a Boyfriend - Daria Snadowsky

The cover art is awesome, but it definitely wasn't what I expected. The main character meets her first boyfriend and has a lot of "firsts" with him, but it didn't seem to translate to what the cover says.

6. Two-Way Street - Lauren Barnholdt

I had an image of the main characters from the cover, but the descriptions from the book didn't match the cover. Also, the major secret that was mentioned on the back wasn't that big. I mean, it was meaningful, but not a super big deal. It was a good book though.

7. Labyrinth - Kate Moss

From the summary, I thought I would really enjoy this book. I mean, it involved Egypt, magic and secrets. I was totally on board. I started reading though, and it was just dragged and dragged. I have been trying to read it for a year and I still haven't made it halfway through. 

8. Looking for Alaska - John Green

I love John Green, he is amazing. The cover AND the summary are both deceiving in a way. From the cover, I thought maybe darkness and candles would be prevalent, but I don't remember seeing any. The summary makes the reader think that Alaska is Miles's love interest and that isn't the case. But, the book is great, definitely a must read.

9. Brother Odd - Dean Koontz

This series is great, but this book was a major disappointment. The cover makes you think that Odd himself had become a monk, but he was just living at a monastery. I think my main reason for choosing this book is because the summary made me think I would enjoy it, and I hated it. 

10. White Oleander - Janet Fitch

First of all, I have read this book twice and I love it. The cover is what confuses me. The main character, Astrid, is a teenage girl who has long blond hair. I have no idea this person is supposed to be. No scene like this takes place anywhere in the book. It's a good cover, it just doesn't fit the novel. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog! I've heard lots of great things about Looking For Alaska, I should probably move it up my TBR pile. Thanks for the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually really loved that sentence of The Hunger Games, really depicts how she was feeling during that scene!! One of the many great descriptions by Suzanne Collins :)

    ReplyDelete